Today is Thanksgiving: a day of gratitude, family, turkey, love, stuffing, pie, no school, naps, friends, and prayer.
Thanksgiving is a day that now almost gets overlooked as Black Friday gains more and more importance in people’s lives. Don’t get me wrong – I am not against good sales. I have gone to some stores in the early morn’ at least these past two years. But, when I see tents set up outside Best Buy on Tuesday afternoon, I feel kind of sad for those people. In the words of the wise Ronald Weasley, that person “needs to sort our her priorities.”
Anyways, that was not the reason of this post. This post is about Thanksgiving and, cliche as it might be, what I’m thankful for right now.
- My family. I know everyone says this, but it’s hard to appreciate your family until you don’t have them with you everyday anymore. I have had the wonderful opportunity to come to BYU in Utah, and I know that this is where I am supposed to be right now, but I also haven’t had the opportunity to go home since June. Six months is a long time, my friends. Even though there isn’t much in Indiana, I really miss it. I go home in twenty-two days!
- My friends. Over the years, I feel like I have found out who are the real friends in my life. I have lost many friends in the process, and though it’s tough then, in retrospect, I have come to be grateful for this. It’s made me realize and appreciate the friends that I do have. The friends that will stick with you despite thousands of miles. So, to the friends I left in Indiana and the friends I’ve made since in Utah, I am truly grateful for you.
- My school. I know I’ve talked about this before. But BYU is seriously the best. I cannot imagine going to a different school. I am grateful for the education, the people, the standards, the Spirit, everything. I love it.
- My church. I know you guys have also heard about this. But I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, or in other words, I’m a Mormon. I have grown up a member and have come to know with a surety that it is true. I am grateful for it and where I am because of it.
- The cute puppy that’s snoring in my lap right now. I don’t think I need to say anything else.
These are the biggest things I can think of right now. Also, it’s only Thanksgiving for twelve more minutes, and I’m pretty exhausted – you know, that one chemical in the turkey does something chemically in the body that makes people tired (AP Chemistry was a long time ago…) . Anyways, off to bed I go. For your enjoyment, here’s a picture of me and my little second cousin, Baylee. Excuse the bad quality. I kept the really good pictures – aka the forty-seven other pictures that Baylee took of things such as the window pane, my hand, her forehead, and the ceiling – for myself. The world just isn’t ready to handle that high of a level of artistry…